Mr. Mesdjian Living Earth
I am very excited to begin this school year and am looking forward to helping you learn some amazing things about biology. It is your responsibility to read, listen in class, participate in discussions, complete assignments, and most importantly try. All of these responsibilities will help you to learn. This class will challenge you, but if you try, you will be successful, and learn some amazing things about life.
“The expert at anything was once a beginner.” - Helen Hayes (Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony Award winner)
“The Living Earth” Stemscopes all digital access via Clever
Required daily materials and supplies to bring to class daily
- Charge your laptop before and bring it to class daily
- Your effort
- Respect everyone and everything
- No food or drink during lab activities
- Follow directions
Grading breakdown, scale & policies
Assignments 50% 80%-89% B
Lab work/reports 15% 70%-79% C
Tests 35% 60%-69% D
Late assignments can be turned in for a maximum of 50%.
It is a student’s responsibility to find out any work missed due to an absence and complete the assignment. Most assignments will be posted in google classroom. Those not posted online will be in absent folders on the lab counter.
- Enter the classroom quietly and sit in your assigned seat.
- If you are not in your seat when the bell rings you are tardy. 5 tardies in a semester will result in a detention.
- Start working immediately on the warm up activity.
- Raise your hand to speak or to leave your seat.
- Turn in work into google classroom for most assignments, paper assignments will be turned into your period’s file organizer in the front of the room.
- I release students from the class, not the bell!
- I will produce my own work and not copy from others, or complete work for others.
- I will properly cite my sources. Plagiarizing includes use of online translators, dictionaries, or other reference materials.
- I will use technology as a resource not copy and paste.
- Failure to comply with honesty and integrity requirements will result in a zero on that assignment and notification of their counselor.
- If cheating reoccurs the students will fail the course.
Lab Safety Contract
Rowland High School Teacher Mesdjian
I have received specific instructions regarding the use, function and location of the following
- Lab Aprons, Gloves
- Eye Protection (safety goggles)
- Eyewash fountain
- Fire Extinguisher
- Fire Blanket
- First Aid Kit
- Safety regulations for science students
I will abide by the safety regulations for science students to prevent accidents and injury to myself and others and will follow all additional instructions given by the teacher, conduct myself in a responsible manner in the lab.
Please list below any special allergies (e.g. bee stings, peanut butter, pollen etc.) that may affect the safety in the laboratory or on field trips.
I have been given access and have read the “safety regulations for science students” and agree to follow them at all times while in the laboratory. I have received specific safety instructions as indicated above. Please type your name below to acknowledge.
Google classroom https://classroom.google.com
Use Clever and favorite Stemscopes for online textbook
Thinkers, contributors, and communicators
The best way to contact me is via email. If a discussion is best, I will be happy to set up a conference or phone call to help your child’s progress.
Parents and Students
Please type your name below stating that you have read and understand the above pages of information on this classroom policy and a best phone number and email address to reach your parents.
Student Name: ___________ Period: ________
I have read and understood all of the information. I will be an active participant in Chemistry and promise to put 100% effort into all assignments/activities. Please type your name and parents name and contact information below, this will signify that you have read and understood the class syllabus.
Student Signature__________ Date______
Parent Signature___________ Date_____
Parent best email __________ & phone # ________ contact.