Student Leadership Opportunities
Family & Consumer Science (FCS) Students have the opportunity to join FHA-HERO: California Affiliate of the Nationwide organization- FCCLA. It is a pre-professional organization for secondary students enrolled in Home Economics Careers and Technology programs in grades 6-12.
- FHA-HERO focuses on developing career and leadership skills for members to be successful in the home, community, and work life.
- Students are able to sharpen their personal leadership and career skills by participating as members and officers in Competitive Recognition Events (CRE's), leadership development activities, and community service projects.
- Membership is open to all RHS/ LPVROP students
- Complete application and submit $10.00 membership fee.
- Members participate in the following; student leadership, community service, campus meetings, club events and regional, state, and national competitions.
- Competition is restricted to students who are or have been enrolled in a FCS class or ROP course in high school or middle school.
- Competitive events include the following; Chapter Events - Chapter Activities Manual, Chapter Exhibit; Team Events - Energy & Resource Conservation, Nutrition Education; and Individual Events - Child Development, Child Teaching, Consumer Education, Creed Recitation Event, Fashion Design, Interior Design, Job Application & Interview, Menu Planning, Prepared Speech, Salad Preparation and Hospitality & Tourism.
- Competitors are required to complete 20 hours service - 10 hrs. Club & 10 hrs. community service.
- Community services hours can be completed various ways: planning & implementing activities for the needy or underprivileged; working with American Cancer Society; helping elementary school teachers with their projects; etc.
- CRE's are our competition component that is held at the Region level and the top 5 winners move on to the State level of competition.
- For State CRE's, additional awards are provided for first place winners. Second and third place winners may also receive additional recognition in some events. Awards include cash awards of $50-$100, scholarships, and merchandise.
The Rowland FHA/HERO Chapter is part of the California Association - Region 9. Participation in FHA/HERO offers opportunities to:
- Develop leadership skills and citizenship.
- Apply skills and knowledge gained in Family and Consumers Sciences.
- Perform community service.
- Explore careers and work related skills.
- Gain recognition and scholarships for members.
The California Association of FHA/HERO is part of the National Vocational Student Organization for young men and women.
The 2013-14 Rowland Chapter Officers are:
- President - Vanessa Gorgonia
- V/P - Annie Leung
- Treasurer- Vivian Lin
- Secretary - Heewon Kim
- Historian - Sabrina Chang
- Reporter - Ellen Song