Overview of Rowland High
At first glance, John A. Rowland High School, located in Rowland Heights, California, appears to be a traditional public high school. Yet when you enter the campus, you begin to notice subtle differences in the way this school "feels." It soon becomes clear that you won't find "business as usual" here. There is a clear culture of excellence. High expectations abound with a rich and challenging instructional program and a supportive environment in which all students can find success. You see evidence of this success in students' work, in the interactions between staff and students, and in the everyday operations of the school.
The staff at Rowland High School includes 5 administrators, 84 teachers, 5.5 counselors, 1 librarian, 1 ASB director, 1 IB Coordinator, 25 full-time classified and 20 part-time classified employees.
The John A. Rowland High School Administrative Team has always seen and continues to see our school as a work in progress. They understand the need to keep pace with industry and university standards in order to provide our students with the most up-to-date opportunities for learning and better prepare them for the future. Their vision has resulted in Rowland High School receiving a six-year WASC Accreditation in 2007 as well as being named a California Distinguished School in 1996 & 2004 and a National Blue Ribbon School in 1998.
In November 1999, we were invited to attend the National Blue Ribbon Ceremony held at the Washington Hilton in Washington D.C. In addition, our Visual and Performing Arts Department was one of only eight schools in the nation to be judged by the U.S. Department of Education as having "exemplary programs in the Special Emphasis Areas of Arts Education." Out of those eight, John A. Rowland High School was one of only three schools chosen to give a presentation at the National Blue Ribbon Ceremony.
In 2005, Rowland's Career Technology Education was recognized as one of the top 12 Exemplary Programs in the State.
At Rowland High School, our mission is to provide a safe and orderly environment that will enable all students to:
- Become critical thinkers, problem solvers, and effective communicators, using their skills in an integrated fashion
- Reach their fullest academic and personal potential
- Develop learning strategies and study skills that make them life-long learners
- Apply their knowledge and process skills to construct new knowledge
- Access an integrated core curriculum with real world application
- Have a broad range of interests and activities that will add to the quality of life
- Use technology in effective ways
- Progress to the world of work and/or post secondary education
- Become productive and responsible members of society
At Rowland High School we value:
- The diversity of our student body and the opportunity which it gives us to experience "community" in its broadest sense
- Input from all segments of the school community
- An ongoing comprehensive change process that involves staff in the shared decision making, planning, implementation and assessment of programs which will enhance the education of our students
- The efforts of our school community to emphasize self-esteem, honesty, cooperation, self-discipline, responsibility, compassion, civic virtue and pride in accomplishment as aspects of a personal value system
- The use of a wide range of instructional strategies which move students toward optimal achievements